www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenSSL exception documentation? [was: JSON License and Apache Projects]
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2016 17:17:44 GMT
Jira not required. Note though that 'category B' is currently under a Weak
Copyleft section, so this means adding a new FAQ rather than simply adding
the license to the current category B list. While Luis said the FSF said it
was mildly copyleft, I'm not seeing a clear copyleft statement in the
license. I assume it's in one potential reading of:

"The licence and distribution terms for any publically available
version or derivative of this code cannot be changed. "

That seems to me less midly copyleft and more either 1) a no sublicensing
term or 2) a vague copyleft term that could be either GPL or MPL in its
desired scope. #1 would seem to place it in its own special situation while
#2 would place it in Cat X.

If #1: Could you draft the proposed language for that FAQ here (or on a
JIRA)?

Given there's only the one known product under OpenSSL/SSLeay, my
recommendation would be to limit the FAQ to the product rather than the
license as a whole. Similar to how the old JSON question was listed. Plus a
link to the license :) https://www.openssl.org/source/license.html

Hen