www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about the "prominent notice" about me changing the file
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2016 18:58:27 GMT
On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 6:42 AM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 12:37 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@scylladb.com> wrote:
>
>> Speaking as a reader of code, I like to see the history when necessary.
>>

>> Isn't that stored in the version control system?
>>

> Not necessarily in the version control system that your modified code is
> sitting in.
>
> I meant it would be nice to have an explicit pointer back to the Apache
> project. A URL.
>

>> But that doesn't answer my question.  As far as I can tell, I'm not
>> allowed to remove the license blurb and replace it with my license.  Is
>> that incorrect?
>>

> You are allowed to relicense the software.

??

I'm confused by your replies here Ted; I have the same understanding as Avi
and am confused by the notion of 'previous license' that you're suggesting.

> You are also required to prominently mark files that you have changed. The
> easiest way to do so is to preserve the old header and add your own.
>

>> My IDE hides the details until I need them so 1 line or 50 makes no
>> difference to me as a reader. The Apache header is pretty short anyway.
>>
>> I also like to know where I can find the previous versions of the code.
>>

>> Use the version control system for that project?
>>

> As I mentioned, the version control system for the code I am looking at
> may not have the necessary history.

I took your original reply to mean you wanted to indicate where the
software originally came from. So less about the version control and more
about the link to somewhere else. Given the name of the original software
is in the NOTICE, and one has to retain the contents of the NOTICE, I think
the connection is still there to dig into the history.

Hen