www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSR-305 anntations
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2016 13:38:49 GMT
On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 2:33 PM Stephen Connolly <
stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well the question is really this. The Apache Foundation is supposed to
> provide software for the public good and make that software available, does
> including the jsr305.jar files constitute a restriction of the goals of the
> foundation?

The JAR in question is Apache-licensed, so it's no different than any other
Apache software. The restriction -- if it exists -- comes from a third
party, and decision to include particular third-party software, not ASF
software. There are probably a bunch of such conflicts out there that we
can't do anything about.

I understand that if it were technically Not Our Problem but happened to
significantly hamper use of Apache software in practice for a large group
of people, it would be something to try to do something about. However this
arises at best when choosing to redistribute the whole Oracle JDK, which
hardly seems like common usage. IMHO.