www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Change to release-downloads requirements
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2016 05:43:51 GMT
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 6:55 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:

> A recent discussion on comdev occurred around the linking of releases from
> download pages.  This was being a bit of an issue in the incubator -
> podlings would link to sites such as github for download links.  This had
> the additional issue of showing unapproved releases.
>
> To review the changes, please see this thread:

For convenience, here's John's changeset along with a link to the current page:

  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/infrastructure/site/trunk/content/dev/release-download-pages.mdtext?r1=1771297&r2=1774548

  http://www.apache.org/dev/release-download-pages

> - basically it clarified that you can only link to approved releases, and
> that the pre-release bullet was for alpha/beta/preview releases.

I applaud the work done to help podlings understand how to emphasize
official releases approved by the community.  Nevertheless, I have
some issues with the language of that change -- for starters, it *is*
currently permissible for projects to link to third-party packages
which are not approved by the PMC acting on behalf of the foundation.
This includes "convenience binaries", but may also include other
builds or supplemental packages[1]. (Whether this policy is optimal is
a separate question.)

But really, I have lots of issues with the release-download-pages page itself.

The release-downloads-pages page has been around for a long time.
There are now two relevant canonical policy pages which supersede it
on policy questions:

*   http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy
*   http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution

The content of release-downloads-pages should be edited down with two
goals in mind:

1.  Provide a technical how-to for setting up a release downloads page.
2.  Reference the canonical policy pages instead of competing with them.

The canonical policy pages have served us well when we need to settle
pitched arguments. However, we still have the problem that there is
too much information out there which is hard to sort through and
digest.

Pruning surplus release documentation is a task that I have planned to
take on for a while.  Now seems like an opportune time.

Marvin Humphrey

[1] See for example http://ignite.apache.org/download.cgi#3rdparty