www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: GitHib releases
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2016 11:57:30 GMT

Am 30.11.2016 um 19:08 schrieb sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com<mailto:sebbaz@gmail.com>>:

On 30 November 2016 at 11:44, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org<mailto:johndament@apache.org>>
wrote:

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:38 AM Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com<mailto:fmeschbe@adobe.com>>
wrote:

If people hit GitHub they usually first hit the repository’s main page and
thus get shown the README.md file.

How about adding a sentence or two to this file indicating that official
releases are only available from dist.apache.org<http://dist.apache.org/> while the
artifacts from
…/releases are not official/endorsed/supported ?

No, please don't.

dist.apache.org<http://dist.apache.org/> is NOT to be used for public URLs of releases.
It does
not have the bandwidth.
It is only intended as the source (as in origin) for the releases on
www.apache.org/dist<http://www.apache.org/dist>, which in turn is the source for the
3rd party
mirrors.

Nor indeed is www.apache.org/dist<http://www.apache.org/dist> to be used for release
downloads,
except as a backup if none of the 3rd party mirrors are available.

Sounds like a reasonable approach.

Only if the appropriate URL is used …

Thanks for fixing the URL ;-)

Of course, each project should indicate their own canonical download URL ---

Regards
Felix

Regards
Felix