www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Avi Kivity <...@scylladb.com>
Subject Re: Question about the "prominent notice" about me changing the file
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2016 14:53:21 GMT

> Hi Avi ;-)

:-)

> On Mon, Dec 26, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@scylladb.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The Apache License, Version 2.0, states:
>>
>>      You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
>> that You changed the files; and
>>
>> My question is: does a "Copyright 2016 Me" line near the top of the file
>> qualify as a prominent notice that I changed it?  Since I am writing it
>> anyway, it would save me an inane "Modified by Me" line.
> What is the license that you make an overall bundle (your changes +
> original ALv2
> code) available under?

I am making my bundle available under two separate licenses (not
concurrently), GNU AGPL v3+, and a commercial license.

I would this to apply not only to the bundle, but also to individual
changes within the modified files.

> At any rate, even though IANAL, I believe that at a very minimum you should
> be saying "Portions Copyright 2016 Me" line near the top of the file".
>
> As a reader of a file that has a structure of:
>
> /* ALv2
>   *
>   * Copyright 2016 Me
>   */
>
> would make me believe that the entire file is (c) you which may or may not
> be the case.

In Linux, people just assert their copyright, and never explicitly
mention that it is just a portion they are copyrighting.  See 0515e5999
for an example; so I think it's clear there can be multiple authors.