www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Fontana <rfont...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: OpenSSL exception documentation? [was: JSON License and Apache Projects]
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2016 17:49:07 GMT
On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 05:25:22PM +0000, Luis Villa wrote:
> It's the "derivative" part that makes me say copyleft, rather than mere
> prohibition on sublicensing the original work.

Oh, I had completely overlooked the 'derivative' language. That makes
some sense then.

> But it's poorly written, and
> I don't know the history/intent, so I certainly won't claim any great
> certainty on the matter.

+1

It seems like it ought to be interpreted differently from, say, a
hypothetical alternative version of the license that had a numbered
clause in the main part of the license text saying 'Publically [sic]
available versions and derivatives of this code must be under the same
license and distribution terms'. I'd speculate this language was added
as a revision to an earlier version of the license that didn't have
it, as a clarification following some argument.