www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: A grace period for getting rid of JSON license jars
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2016 16:45:47 GMT
From the peanut gallery:  did you guys rule out "next release after Dec 31, 2016"?  Or is it
the same?  I'm just wondering if there are projects that don't release very often that are
going be under pressure.  What happens if you don't hit June 1?

-Alex

From: Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org<mailto:bayard@apache.org>>
Date: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 8:35 AM
To: ASF Legal Discuss <legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
Subject: Re: A grace period for getting rid of JSON license jars

+1, makes sense.

Rounding up, that would be a 'Move off of the Java JSON parser by June 1st 2017'.

On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 5:22 AM, Alan Gates <alanfgates@gmail.com<mailto:alanfgates@gmail.com>>
wrote:
The recent moving of the JSON license to category X means that a number of projects cannot
do any releases until this is fixed.  I know this includes Hadoop, Hive, and Spark, and probably
a number of others since hadoop-common (which many project use) depends on jars from json.org<http://json.org>.
 The Hive team in particular is trying to get a maintenance release out which is blocked by
this.

I talked with Jim Jagielski briefly today and he suggested that perhaps we could have a grandfather
clause on this so that projects that already are using it could continue to, at least for
a period of time, so that they can continue to produce releases rather than needing to spend
unplanned time switching out this library[1].

To be specific I propose we give projects already using this license 6 months to clean this
up in which they can continue to release with dependencies on the JSON license.

Alan.

1. The amount of time to fix this will not be trivial.  Based on a little bit of digging I’ve
done the alternatives are not 100% identical in their behavior which will mean projects will
need to thoroughly test the replacements and change their code to deal with the differences.