www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject LEGAL-280 - Cat-X and Optional Modules
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2016 19:51:13 GMT
Hi,

I raised this legal ticket https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-280 due
to the outcome of a recent discussion around the Amazon Software LIcense,
which was deemed OK for optional dependencies specifically designed for use
within AWS.

I'd like to know if this can be expanded to handle any Cat-X dependency or
if its something special about the ASL's field of use restriction that
allows it? for instance, if I have source code fully apache licensed that
compiles against a dynamically linked LGPL library, can that source code be
distributed, and can I produce binaries that are non-inclusive of those
LGPL libraries as long as:

- Its clear to the user they need to pull in the LGPL dependency
- Its an optional module - its adding something specifically around that
LGPL library's usage.

John