www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GitHib releases
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2016 20:38:34 GMT
On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:07 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In reviews of a couple of incubator releases I've noticed that GitHub has
> created releases and made them publicly available before the dev or
> incubator vote was finished.

I personally don't believe these download links are an issue.  They aren't
the official release.  They are a download of the git tag, equivalent to
what the download link looks like (for instance
https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/archive/master.zip ).  We do
need to make sure that the project's branding isn't pointing to github as a
formal release (this will impact the OpenWhisk podling)

> The most recent example can be found here [1]. Note that the
> apache-joshua-6.1 release has been available for 7 days to download as a
> zip/tar.gz but the vote hasn’t finished yet.

This came up with the metron podling as well, where they were pointing to
that page for their downloads.  That isn't good.