www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSON License and Apache Projects
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 19:07:09 GMT
On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 1:16 PM Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Justin Mclean
> <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> MIT is OSI certified, compatible with the GPL, and category A.
> >>
> >> The JSON license is not OSI certified, not compatible with the GPL,
> >> and (now) category X.
> >
> > Yep no disagreement from me there.
> >
> > I should of said it’s based of the text of the MIT license plus the “Do
> good not evil bit” which it probably why the pom states MIT.
>
> All apples are fruit, but not all fruit are apples.
>
> Religions, Species, and Software Licenses are all examples of
> categories where having a "common ancestor" doesn't mean that two
> instances of the superclass are compatible.
>
> The POM is misleading to the point of being unhelpful and incorrect.

Just wondering, what POM are you looking at? The true pom has this for its
license:

<licenses>
    <license>
      <name>provided without support or warranty</name>
      <url>http://www.json.org/license.html</url>
    </license>
  </licenses>

This is the 20090211 version.  Similar for the 20080701 version.  Prior to
it had no license declaration.