www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GitHib releases
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2016 18:08:18 GMT
On 30 November 2016 at 11:44, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 5:38 AM Felix Meschberger <fmeschbe@adobe.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> If people hit GitHub they usually first hit the repository’s main page and
>> thus get shown the README.md file.
>>
>> How about adding a sentence or two to this file indicating that official
>> releases are only available from dist.apache.org while the artifacts from
>> …/releases are not official/endorsed/supported ?

No, please don't.

dist.apache.org is NOT to be used for public URLs of releases. It does
not have the bandwidth.
It is only intended as the source (as in origin) for the releases on
www.apache.org/dist, which in turn is the source for the 3rd party
mirrors.

Nor indeed is www.apache.org/dist to be used for release downloads,
except as a backup if none of the 3rd party mirrors are available.

> Sounds like a reasonable approach.

Only if the appropriate URL is used ...