www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GitHib releases
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2016 09:53:21 GMT
I agree this is not a big legal issue and probably should be better
discussed on dev@community or general@incubator.

It is GitHub that claims it is a "release" for any tag.  Projects
should still keep this in mind (they might not be aware of it).

Pushing a release-looking tag without "-RC1" suffix is confusing in
any case - it assumes the vote will pass and git users will think it
is the release. Best practice is to never change a published tag -
some projects like Commons don't even remove RC tags that have been
under vote - and so the release tag should be pushed after the vote
has passed. (Preferably signed with git tag --sign)

Some have argued that release candidate tags should NOT be pushed to
the repository and instead place RC tag on a personal github fork
instead until the vote has passed -- personally I don't like this
solution as the RC commit under vote then is not on ASF
infrastructure.

(Several git workarounds exists, including using branches or using
commit pointers that are not under refs/tags or refs/branches, e.g.
refs/rc/0.3.0-RC1 )

GitHub releases can be used to our advantage, if you use a tag commit
(as in "git tag --sign" th ecommit message becomes the release message
on GitHub, for instance I did this (arguably minimal msg):

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-language/releases/tag/0.15.1-incubating

On 30 November 2016 at 08:16, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 9:06 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>> In reviews of a couple of incubator releases I've noticed that GitHub has created
releases and made them publicly available before the dev or incubator vote was finished.

> Technicality: I don't think, that "GitHub" has created releases, but
> someone from the project. See [1]. Apart from the legal aspects (which
> clearly matter on this list), I also see
> technical issues (For example: Releases should be distributed via
> www.apache.org/dist, and not via the scm.)
>
> Jochen
>

> 1: https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-joshua.git;a=summary
>

> --