www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSON License and Apache Projects
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 14:58:10 GMT
Yes, please forward - although this thread has not yet shown up in the
archive at:

https://lists.apache.org/list.html?legal-discuss@apache.org

There's a corresponding private legal list which should NOT be
forwarded from and should be used for confidential cases:
legal-internal@apache.org

On 23 November 2016 at 14:51, Martijn Dashorst
<martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this a public list, and can I forward this to our dev@ list?
>
> Martijn
>

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@apache.org> wrote:
>> As some of you may know, recently the JSON License has been
>> moved to Category X (https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x).
>>
>> I understand that this has impacted some projects, especially
>> those in the midst of doing a release. I also understand that
>> up until now, really, there has been no real "outcry" over our
>> usage of it, especially from end-users and other consumers of
>> our projects which use it.
>>
>> As compelling as that is, the fact is that the JSON license
>> itself is not OSI approved and is therefore not, by definition,
>> an "Open Source license" and, as such, cannot be considered as
>> one which is acceptable as related to categories.
>>
>> Therefore, w/ my VP Legal hat on, I am making the following
>> statements:
>>
>>   o No new project, sub-project or codebase, which has not
>>     used JSON licensed jars (or similar), are allowed to use
>>     them. In other words, if you haven't been using them, you
>>     aren't allowed to start. It is Cat-X.
>>
>>   o If you have been using it, and have done so in a *release*,
>>     AND there has been NO pushback from your community/eco-system,
>>     you have a temporary exclusion from the Cat-X classification thru
>>     April 30, 2017. At that point in time, ANY and ALL usage
>>     of these JSON licensed artifacts are DISALLOWED. You must
>>     either find a suitably licensed replacement, or do without.
>>     There will be NO exceptions.
>>
>>   o Any situation not covered by the above is an implicit
>>     DISALLOWAL of usage.
>>
>> Also please note that in the 2nd situation (where a temporary
>> exclusion has been granted), you MUST ensure that NOTICE explicitly
>> notifies the end-user that a JSON licensed artifact exists. They
>> may not be aware of it up to now, and that MUST be addressed.
>>
>> If there are any questions, please ask on the legal-discuss@a.o
>> list.
>>
>> --
>> Jim Jagielski