www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A grace period for getting rid of JSON license jars
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2016 21:04:35 GMT
I think that theory is weaker than examples here.

I have worked through two examples so far, twitter4j (and thus Apache Nifi)
and Hive.

Twitter4j incorporated the source code. I needed to make a few small
changes for them and sent them a pull request. This was more work than a
pom change but no more than about 2-3 hours. There is no jar hell potential
there because twitter4j changes the package when importing the code.

I haven't made a change to Hive, but I have reviewed all uses of the
org.json code. The new library should satisfy all those uses with just a
pom change. This brings in the possibility of jar hell a la sebb, but
shading should be pretty easy.

So, two data points isn't big data, but the trend so far is that the
conversion is very easy.

The next big data point should be Hadoop which has some difficult spots due
to transitive dependencies on org.json, but my gut is that the conversion
will be easy.

All of these cases ignore QA cycle time.