www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A grace period for getting rid of JSON license jars
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2016 09:03:00 GMT
On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Alan Gates <alanfgates@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ted, there's much more to do here than switch out a pom. Every project
> will have to go through a full test cycle as there are likely to be subtle
> differences between the libraries. And projects on top of the stack will
> have to wait for those on the bottom.

I am very aware of that. I want to get those tests started as soon as
possible.

Moreover, I will be working to get our own QA teams to test existing
versions with the new library as soon as possible. That will be very
difficult to schedule, but is really important.

Also, based on some of my first glances, some cases will require waiting
for the lower projects, but clearly not all. One example of a problematic
dependency is twitter4j where there is source adoption. Other dependencies
are cleaner. I am working through a pull request for twitter4j, partly as
self education on this matter.

> We've had this license for years. Is 6 more months going to matter?

We are already seeing users reject Apache software because of this issue.
So yes, it will matter. The question is how much and how do we trade that
off against the pain involved.

> In the interest of letting nifi and hive release will you at least agree
> to dec 31 as the date and that we get to keep arguing whether to extend
> that to June 1?

I think that you over-estimate my influence here. This is a decision we
will all be making, hopefully by as strong a consensus as possible.

I am happy to agree that simply finding the projects that need changes and
communicating with those projects is likely to mean that only some projects
will be able to change sooner than that. But that is simply my best guess
based on incomplete knowledge of which projects are involved.