www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Andrew Wang <w...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSON implementation at Apache [Was: JSON license again]
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2016 06:23:12 GMT
Hi Strub,

Sorry, Apache Johnzon is not exactly that, since it is not a drop-in
replacement for the json.org library. We have an issue where json.org Java
implementation is needed by the AWS SDK. The AWS SDK has addressed this in
a later version of their library, but we can't bump without affecting
compatibility for our users.

A similar situation is true for the popular Jackson serialization library.
Like the AWS SDK, this is addressed in a later version of Jackson, but it
again affects compatibility for our users. Fortunately the json.org
dependency in Jackson is test scoped and thus not included in our release
tarball, but it'd be safer to exclude it and use something else instead.

Best,
Andrew