www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: JSON License and Apache Projects
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:16:01 GMT
On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Justin Mclean
<justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> MIT is OSI certified, compatible with the GPL, and category A.
>>
>> The JSON license is not OSI certified, not compatible with the GPL,
>> and (now) category X.
>
> Yep no disagreement from me there.
>
> I should of said it’s based of the text of the MIT license plus the “Do good not
evil bit” which it probably why the pom states MIT.

All apples are fruit, but not all fruit are apples.

Religions, Species, and Software Licenses are all examples of
categories where having a "common ancestor" doesn't mean that two
instances of the superclass are compatible.

The POM is misleading to the point of being unhelpful and incorrect.

> Thanks,
> Justin

- Sam Ruby