www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject OpenSSL exception documentation? [was: JSON License and Apache Projects]
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2016 17:10:22 GMT
On Sun, Nov 27, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Since 'OpenSSL+RSA license' is not in any way part of
> this discussion, I have no idea what you are referring
> to.
>
> If you have a specific question, then please ask.

Twofold;

1. OpenSSL/SSLeay exception is not documented at
   https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved (unlike JSON)
   So the general question of when any exception that exists today
   for these licenses are subject to future reversal is unclear.

2. The primary objection/exception for OpenSSL/SSLeay would
   appear to be the advertising clauses. However, SSLeay contains
   a rather unique and tricky exception written with good intentions
   (similar to 'good not evil')
   https://www.openssl.org/source/license.txt

 * The licence and distribution terms for any publically available version or
 * derivative of this code cannot be changed.  i.e. this code cannot simply be
 * copied and put under another distribution licence
 * [including the GNU Public Licence.]

This appears to make creation of a AL derived work near-impossible
(focusing on the first sentence alone.)