www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A grace period for getting rid of JSON license jars
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 00:15:32 GMT
IMHO this discussion Hans (understandably) veered a bit off course to a technical discussion
that's arguably a bit off topic.

While one of the main projects I work on is very, very minimally affected by this, it is nonetheless
affected. And there are large projects that are very seriously affected.

I humbly ask that we take technical discussions to a more appropriate dev list.

The main questions I think a lot of PMCs are wondering about are:

    Will there be a grace period? If so, what's the deadline?

I also think there needs to be some sort of action notifying PMCs of the issue. There's no
guarantee that everyone who needs to be aware of this is subscribed to this list.

-Taylor

> On Nov 22, 2016, at 6:16 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Be that as it may. We say "Don't use json.org." And we (maybe, rather,
>> Ted) suggest an alternative, which may have some problems attached to
>> it. But, that is (IMO) way better than just the "Don't" part.
>
> And further, if sebb wants to add another approach with different caveats, that's great.
Better than what we have.

> That said, I have already had private email saying that providing SOME alternative has
made at least one person decide to back off from flaming the board over this. So carrot and
stick seems to be helping.