www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GitHib releases
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2016 20:17:00 GMT
This has always annoyed me, especially when I see people on user@ lists saying they using version
x.y.z when that version is still in the voting process. This applies to TLPs as well as podlings.

My understanding is that a GitHub “release” is created anytime you create a tag, so for
ASF projects that means as soon as an ASF release candidate is tagged — before voting even
starts.

In an ideal world, GitHub would provide a way to turn that feature off, and we could just
disable it across all ASF GitHub mirrors.

-Taylor

> On Nov 29, 2016, at 3:06 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> In reviews of a couple of incubator releases I've noticed that GitHub has created releases
and made them publicly available before the dev or incubator vote was finished.

> The most recent example can be found here [1]. Note that the apache-joshua-6.1 release
has been available for 7 days to download as a zip/tar.gz but the vote hasn’t finished yet.

> This seems to me to be against release policy as it’s making release candidates publicly
available before the vote on them has finished [2][3].