www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: A grace period for getting rid of JSON license jars
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:08:49 GMT
The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. Basically
we refuse the use of it for any new projects/efforts, but those
projects which are currently using it, with no issues, should
be allowed to continue using them, grandfathered, at least for
a time being.

Let me mull this over some more and make an official determination/
ruling. :)

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 2:22 PM, Alan Gates <alanfgates@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The recent moving of the JSON license to category X means that a number of projects cannot
do any releases until this is fixed.  I know this includes Hadoop, Hive, and Spark, and probably
a number of others since hadoop-common (which many project use) depends on jars from json.org.
 The Hive team in particular is trying to get a maintenance release out which is blocked by
this.

> I talked with Jim Jagielski briefly today and he suggested that perhaps we could have
a grandfather clause on this so that projects that already are using it could continue to,
at least for a period of time, so that they can continue to produce releases rather than needing
to spend unplanned time switching out this library[1].

> To be specific I propose we give projects already using this license 6 months to clean
this up in which they can continue to release with dependencies on the JSON license.

> Alan.
>
> 1. The amount of time to fix this will not be trivial.  Based on a little bit of digging
I’ve done the alternatives are not 100% identical in their behavior which will mean projects
will need to thoroughly test the replacements and change their code to deal with the differences.