www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GitHib releases
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2016 23:08:43 GMT
To me as a member of the Legal Committee, not a huge issue.* Apache Joshua Incubating
has shown good faith and is working through the release process.

Cheers,

Chris

* - also a member of Apache Joshua Incubating PPMC

From: "John D. Ament" <johndament@apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 3:38 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org" <legal-discuss@apache.org>
Subject: Re: GitHib releases

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 3:07 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

Hi,

In reviews of a couple of incubator releases I've noticed that GitHub has created releases
and made them publicly available before the dev or incubator vote was finished.

I personally don't believe these download links are an issue.  They aren't the official release.
 They are a download of the git tag, equivalent to what the download link looks like (for
instance https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/archive/master.zip ).  We do need to make
sure that the project's branding isn't pointing to github as a formal release (this will impact
the OpenWhisk podling)

The most recent example can be found here [1]. Note that the apache-joshua-6.1 release has
been available for 7 days to download as a zip/tar.gz but the vote hasn’t finished yet.

This came up with the metron podling as well, where they were pointing to that page for their
downloads.  That isn't good.

This seems to me to be against release policy as it’s making release candidates publicly
available before the vote on them has finished [2][3].

Anyone else see this as a concern or does this not matter at all?

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/incubator-joshua/releases
2. https://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution.html#unreleased