www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Fabio Utzig <ut...@linux.com>
Subject License doubts regarding addition of external FAT library to Apache Mynewt
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2016 12:45:19 GMT
Hello,

To add support for the FAT filesystem to Apache Mynewt my PR introduced
Elm-Chan's FatFs driver (http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/00index_e.html).

There is no license file on the original package but source code files
have the following header:

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------/
/  FatFs - Generic FAT file system module  R0.12b
     /
/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/
/
/ Copyright (C) 2016, ChaN, all right reserved.
/
/ FatFs module is an open source software. Redistribution and use of
FatFs in
/ source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted
provided
/ that the following condition is met:

/ 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
notice,
/    this condition and the following disclaimer.
/
/ This software is provided by the copyright holder and contributors "AS
IS"
/ and any warranties related to this software are DISCLAIMED.
/ The copyright owner or contributors be NOT LIABLE for any damages
caused
/ by use of this software.

Also some extra FAQ about it here:
http://elm-chan.org/fsw/ff/en/appnote.html#license

Looks good to me but I would like to know from experts if including it
could taint an Apache project in any way.

Best,
Fabio Utzig