www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Updating How To Apply License: include LICENSE?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:52:40 GMT
Should we update the license appendix to note that people wishing to use
the license should also include a copy of the license?  (Presumably in
the fairly-standard LICENSE file)

Obviously we want to be careful about not over-reaching when providing
advice to other software creators.  But since the license itself
mandates "give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a
copy of this License", it's silly to have the appendix not suggest that
other software creators, y'know, actually include the license itself.

I know from our perspective that we intend the ASF to be around for
years, and thus able to reliably serve the license URL.  But others may
not want to rely on that, and we should encourage better behavior.

- Shane

P.S. Inspired by a Redmonk folk and this issue:
https://github.com/benbalter/licensee/issues/103