www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Brand donation documents for NetBeans, examples?
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:59:27 GMT
The requirement is that the ASF own all trademarks and goodwill
associated therewith before a podling is allowed to *graduate*.  During
incubation, we require a clear statement of intent from the current
trademark owner that they will donate the trademarks to us.  In
particular, we probably should not sign legal papers until the podling
actually has some Apache web presence.

In any case, most cases are simple boilerplate trademark assignment
agreements.  It would be helpful if the donor in this case were to round
up the complete lists and provide a proposed agreement, since I imagine
their legal team has experience with this.  8-)

Separately, the podling and infra need to ensure that ownership (and
hosting, later) of the domain name(s) is transferred as well.

Geertjan, let us know on the privately-archived trademarks@apache.org
mailing list if you have detailed questions or if your counsel need to
send us documents.

- Shane