www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Austin, Richard (Fort Collins)" <richard.aus...@hpe.com>
Subject Country of Origin of various ASF projects
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2016 19:50:45 GMT
Good afternoon,

I am trying to determine the Country of Origin of a lengthy list of Apache open-source projects,
in order to determine whether they are in compliance with the U. S. Trade Agreements Act (TAA).
 (Some of our customers require this.)  TAA defines the Country of Origin as the country where
the software is built--where final compilation occurs.  There is a LONG list of countries
that are TAA-approved.

One person at human-response@apache.org<mailto:human-response@apache.org> noted that
each project is generally compiled on the local machine of the Release Manager for that specific
version and then uploaded.  While I can contact each project separately to ask about the build
country, I was advised that it might be worth checking with Apache Legal Affairs, in case
a compilation of this information already exists.  (It seems very likely that other groups
needing TAA compliance would have already been asking Apache about this.)

Do you know of any centralized source of Country of Origin information for Apache projects?
 Note that we are only looking for the country or countries--we do NOT need information on
specific servers, cities, or states.

Thanks very much for any information--or pointers to others who may have relevant information.

Regards,
  Richard Austin
  Software Development Engineer
  Hewlett Packard Enterprise