www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: JSON license again
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2016 18:28:51 GMT
+1 for taking the no-evil serious. It’s a bad joke, if any…

Side note: there is an inhouse project called Apache Johnzon which is a Java JSON-P implementation
and around 100kB in size.

LieGrue,
strub

> Am 27.10.2016 um 19:49 schrieb Ted Dunning <tdunning@apache.org>:
>

> I know that this has been brought up, but I think that we have institutionalized an erroneous
decision. That decision is that the json.org license is a Category A license.

> The json.org version of the BSD license is problematic because it imposes constraints
on the downstream consumer by including a constraint on field of endeavor that the software
"not be used for evil". Debian and Google, for instance, won't consume anything with this
license:

> https://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/jsonevil
> https://www.cnet.com/news/dont-be-evil-google-spurns-no-evil-software/
>
> Apache has codified a policy that is apparently based on a determination that the no-evil
clause was "clearly a joke".

> https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#json
> https://s.apache.org/json-license-ok
>
> At work, we now have more than one customer whose legal team has decided not to get the
joke. I will be filing patches to remove those dependencies from Hive and HCatalog, but the
point remains that the json.org license isn't acceptable to those customers.

> To me, all of this clearly shows that the json license is substantially hindering downstream
adoption due to a perception by those downstream consumers that you can't put a joke into
a license. I, frankly, agree with those folks. Not doing evil is a good thing and I try to
do that myself, but having to get a legal opinion that everything I do is not evil would make
it impossible to get anything done.

> I think that this license should be moved to category X due to the non-free nature of
the license. There is a clean-room reimplementation of the core part of the library available
from the Android team so removing the dependency. Using Jackson or Gson instead is another
fine approach.