www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: NOTICE statements with original donations
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2016 04:39:15 GMT

On 10/16/16, 8:07 PM, "shaposhnik@gmail.com on behalf of Roman Shaposhnik"
<shaposhnik@gmail.com on behalf of roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 5:17 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> NOTICE is for *required* items only.
>>
>> This is because the NOTICE MUST be propagated to downstream consumers,
>> who must propagate it in turn.
>>
>> See the following:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice
>>
>> Note the last sentence:
>>
>> "Do not add anything to NOTICE which is not legally required."
>
>I believe if you remove a copyright statement from a header (as part
>of putting ASF headers instead) you are legally required to move
>it to NOTICE

That was going to be my answer.  I believe this policy document [1] is the
reason Flex has the Adobe copyright in its NOTICE file.  AIUI, it may be
more "policy" than "legal", but the ASF decided to collect copyrights in
NOTICE instead of managing them in each source file.

Thanks,
-Alex

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers