www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: NOTICE statements with original donations
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2016 05:47:16 GMT
Apache Flex uses the following for code donated from Adobe Systems Inc.:

The Initial Developer of the Original Code, known as Adobe Flex, is Adobe
Systems Incorporated (http://www.adobe.com/).
    Copyright 2003 - 2012 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.

IIRC, that's because it was agreed to move the above copyright from the
source files.  IMO, if the entity donating the code has copyrights in
their source files, then the entity can/should agree to move them to
NOTICE and thus they will be mentioned in NOTICE.  And if they don't have
copyrights in the header, they could add them before donating the code, so
why bother making them go through that step and just add an appropriate
copyright in NOTICE.

My 2 cents,
-Alex