www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSON license again
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2016 21:22:55 GMT
On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name>
wrote:

> Konstantin Boudnik wrote on Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 03:03:27 -0700:
> > 'no-evil' isn't a joke, really. It is an ethical principle first and
> > foremost. I guess I am missing why this is considered to be
> > a 'constraint' especially by open minded open-source developers.
>
> The controversy isn't about ethics, it's about law.  Someone could sue
> you alleging that your actions were evil, even if in your eyes they were
> not evil.

OR even worse, your own corporate lawyers could ask you for an ISO-9001
process with ISO-12207 certification for guaranteeing that your processes
do no evil and documenting all of your no-evil maintenance processes.

You would then point out that such absurd requirements are themselves evil.

Which would mean that you have already breached the license before even
using the software.

(and yes, this is a joke, but no, it isn't fiction)