www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Country of Origin of various ASF projects
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 00:53:00 GMT
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 2:30 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Releases are acts of the Foundation, due to our PMCs voting on them,
> > so I don't think the release manager has any impact on this.
>
> I was responding to the statement in the original e-mail which said:
>
> "TAA defines the Country of Origin as the country where the software
> is built--where final compilation occurs"
>
> However as others have pointed out, the ASF releases source, so the
> question is largely moot.

Moot <http://www.dictionary.com/browse/moot> is not exactly the right word
(events have not placed the issue beyond the law).  Better would be
"irrelevant".

There is no "final compilation" with Apache source releases, therefore the
question of where that compilation occurs is not a valid question and thus
has no answer.