www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Update copyright notice of docs distributed with the project
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2016 03:47:19 GMT
On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Manfred Moser <manfred@simpligility.com> wrote:
> Sorry ... I can just tell you that the development team at a client of mine
> was advised by their corporate lawyer to change all copyright notices that
> way to reduce churn and keep it up to date. You might have to get
> confirmation from some lawyer helping the ASF if you need something more in
> detail.

Here's an elephant in the room: strictly speaking copyright springs into
existence the moment you create the work (it may be yours or your
employer's but the principle still applies). You really only need copyright
if you're about to sue somebody. Then having it as clear as it can possibly
be displayed help prove that there was, indeed, an infringement perpetrated.
    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/copyright-registration-notice-enforcement-faq-29067.html
and
    http://www.copyright.gov
are your friends if you want to find out more.

Ultimately -- it is up to you, as a creator to decide what level of proof you
feel comfortable with.

However, since when you contribute to ASF projects you license your
code to the Foundation, the Foundation feels that this:
   http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#simple
is the minimum amount of protection it needs.

Thanks,
Roman.