www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Country of Origin of various ASF projects
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2016 19:56:49 GMT
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:50 PM, Austin, Richard (Fort Collins)
<richard.austin@hpe.com> wrote:
> Good afternoon,
>

> I am trying to determine the Country of Origin of a lengthy list of Apache
> open-source projects, in order to determine whether they are in compliance
> with the U. S. Trade Agreements Act (TAA).  (Some of our customers require
> this.)  TAA defines the Country of Origin as the country where the software
> is built--where final compilation occurs.  There is a LONG list of countries
> that are TAA-approved.
>

> One person at human-response@apache.org noted that each project is generally
> compiled on the local machine of the Release Manager for that specific
> version and then uploaded.  While I can contact each project separately to
> ask about the build country, I was advised that it might be worth checking
> with Apache Legal Affairs, in case a compilation of this information already
> exists.  (It seems very likely that other groups needing TAA compliance
> would have already been asking Apache about this.)

I think it would be useful to state the very fundamental assumption
that ASF has:
legally speaking ASF is NOT in a business of releasing fully integrated (read
compiled, linked and packaged) but rather in a business of releasing source
code for our projects. Hence the only artifact that we're in business
of distributing
officially has a country of origin within US (since all of our source
code management
infrastructure currently resides in US).

While it is true that projects are within their right to distribute
'binary convenience
artifacts' those are handled on a project-by-project basis with the only basic
assumption that whatever gets released has to be explicitly vetted by
the project's
PMC during the normal release vote.

Thanks,
Roman.