www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@hoplahup.net>
Subject Re: Country of Origin of various ASF projects
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2016 20:00:52 GMT
Why can’t you or someone at your company rebuild within the US (or anywhere else appropriate)
so that this compliance is guaranteed? It is generally expected that someone else successfully
building will build the same artefact, even if differences such as modification date of binary
files may exist. E.g. version numbers are the same.

paul

> On 17 Oct 2016, at 21:50, Austin, Richard (Fort Collins) <richard.austin@hpe.com>
wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I am trying to determine the Country of Origin of a lengthy list of Apache open-source
projects, in order to determine whether they are in compliance with the U. S. Trade Agreements
Act (TAA).  (Some of our customers require this.)  TAA defines the Country of Origin as the
country where the software is built--where final compilation occurs.  There is a LONG list
of countries that are TAA-approved.

> One person at human-response@apache.org <mailto:human-response@apache.org> noted
that each project is generally compiled on the local machine of the Release Manager for that
specific version and then uploaded.  While I can contact each project separately to ask about
the build country, I was advised that it might be worth checking with Apache Legal Affairs,
in case a compilation of this information already exists.  (It seems very likely that other
groups needing TAA compliance would have already been asking Apache about this.)

> Do you know of any centralized source of Country of Origin information for Apache projects?
 Note that we are only looking for the country or countries--we do NOT need information on
specific servers, cities, or states.