www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Update copyright notice of docs distributed with the project
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2016 14:01:56 GMT
I like this approach of dropping the year and relying on the source history, it simplifies
things for us in ZooKeeper. If it is acceptable, I suggest we use it.

-Flavio

> On 01 Oct 2016, at 20:25, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Or even drop the year.
>
> Just saying "Copyright <Entity>" and then a FAQ that says "How do we determine
the year of copyright?   Use the source control - we are a public foundation and the source
history is open to all. "

> On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 8:22 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org <mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org>>
wrote:
> There seems to be a misunderstanding about what the copyright dates signify.  If a document
has not changed since 2008, then there is nothing to change in a Copyright (c) 2008 notice
because there is no newer content, and no matter what gets put in the notice, the term of
the copyright does not increase (except by changes in the copyright law, such as the term
extension created to protect Walt Disney copyrights).

> I notice that book publishers have gone to just using the date of the latest content
and not the multiple dates of publication in successive editions of some works. (Check recent
latest editions of The Art of Computer Programming volumes).

> Since the ASF recommends not putting ASF notices on individual files and simply providing
the ALv2 license notification, exactly why/where is it so important to keep updating copyright
notices in many places?  And do the additional dates genuinely reflect presence of additional/modified
content subject to copyright?  Doing this as a rubber-stamp exercise is probably harmless
but it is not clear what it accomplishes where the content subject to copyright has not changed.