www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Country of Origin of various ASF projects
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 12:55:17 GMT
The ASF releases source code, not final-compiled artifacts. Some projects
do also allow for convenience binaries to be released and available for
download, but they are not the official releases of the project nor the
foundation: just the source code is.

> On Oct 17, 2016, at 3:50 PM, Austin, Richard (Fort Collins) <richard.austin@hpe.com>
wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I am trying to determine the Country of Origin of a lengthy list of Apache open-source
projects, in order to determine whether they are in compliance with the U. S. Trade Agreements
Act (TAA).  (Some of our customers require this.)  TAA defines the Country of Origin as the
country where the software is built--where final compilation occurs.  There is a LONG list
of countries that are TAA-approved.

> One person at human-response@apache.org noted that each project is generally compiled
on the local machine of the Release Manager for that specific version and then uploaded.
While I can contact each project separately to ask about the build country, I was advised
that it might be worth checking with Apache Legal Affairs, in case a compilation of this information
already exists.  (It seems very likely that other groups needing TAA compliance would have
already been asking Apache about this.)

> Do you know of any centralized source of Country of Origin information for Apache projects?
 Note that we are only looking for the country or countries--we do NOT need information on
specific servers, cities, or states.