www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Stan Senotrusov <s...@senotrusov.com>
Subject License for the CLA text.
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2016 20:55:57 GMT
Hello!

I'm planning to use a part of ASF's Contributor License Agreements for my own project.

The Apache licensing FAQ states that I am allowed to do so (http://apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#CLA-Usage).
I understand that as an explicit permission to use the text of CLA, but I wonder – perhaps
the text of CLA is distributed under the terms of Apache 2.0 license?

The footer of some webpages on the apache.org website contains the statement "Copyright ©
2016 The Apache Software Foundation, Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0.”. However,
the text of CLAs (both individual and corporate) are distributed as PDF documents and do not
contain any statement regarding the licensing of text.

Usually then I credit the source works I state their license. If the text of CLAs is not licensed
by Apache 2.0 License, will it be sufficient to credit ASF as the following:
"The text of this agreement is based on The Apache Software Foundation’s Contributor License
Agreements (https://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas) which is used with permission.”?

Thank you!

Kindest regards,
Stan Senotrusov