www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Update copyright notice of docs distributed with the project
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 20:09:21 GMT
> On Oct 1, 2016, at 12:25 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Or even drop the year.
>
> Just saying "Copyright <Entity>" and then a FAQ that says "How do we determine
the year of copyright?   Use the source control - we are a public foundation and the source
history is open to all. "

A valid copyright notice is defined by law.  The law doesn't allow redirects,
year-ranges, nor fantasies like 2008-present.

In the US, that would be 17 U.S. Code ยง 401 (b)

   https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/401

However, a valid notice isn't required if the owner doesn't care about
suing for damages on infringement, which is one of many reasons why
we no longer place a copyright notice on individual files.

....Roy