www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Bundling and LICENSE
Date Thu, 22 Sep 2016 19:21:23 GMT
Hi Henri,

Glad to know I wasn't the only one who thought that raising issues upstream was general advice.

On the second question, it isn't about what to include, but how to include it.  The "how-to"
mentions a preference for pointers from the main LICENSE file to other license files in bundled
3rd party dependencies.  When consuming an entire artifact, it makes sense to download the
license file associated with the artifact and point to it from the main LICENSE file.  But
when you have only included snippets of a 3rd party work, and know that only part of the 3rd-party
license file applies, is it ok to download that 3rd-party license file and edit it and point
to the edited version from the main LICENSE file, or should we copy-paste the portion of the
3rd party license file into our LICENSE (or does it matter).  Editing a 3rd-party license
file feels like editing 3rd-party source file headers or editing a signed contract.  In my
mind, finding copies of portions of 3rd-party licenses in the main LICENSE file is a compilation,
not an edit.

Thanks,
-Alex

From: Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org<mailto:bayard@apache.org>>
Date: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 10:52 PM
To: ASF Legal Discuss <legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Bundling and LICENSE

+1 to, first step, reporting/pull-requesting to the project.

On the second question, if you're using snippets from a file you should include the licensing
that relates to the snippets. If you're unable to identify whether a piece of a license description
maps to that snippet, you should include, otherwise you can ignore if it doesn't relate to
the snippets.

Hen

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com<mailto:aharui@adobe.com>>