www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Bundling and LICENSE
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2016 06:30:30 GMT

Thanks,
-Alex

From: Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com<mailto:gstein@gmail.com>>
Date: Sunday, April 3, 2016 at 6:55 PM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>" <legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Bundling and LICENSE

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com<mailto:justin@classsoftware.com>>
wrote:
> that person can void every other PMC member's vote because as soon as an
> irregularity is found

A -1 is not a veto / does not void a release. In the last RC it was suggested that the LICENSE/NOTICE
issue be fixed for the next release and no one voted -1. Even if there was a -1 all that means
that that individual PMC member doesn’t think the RC is release quality (for a good reason)
and is not a veto. Also people can change their vote once it is decided how to resolve the
issue in question.

This is important. The PMC can still make a release, if it has (3) +1 votes.

I think the important point here: what is the *intent* behind Google's applying the ALv2 to
GCL? Easy. They want you to use it under that license. If they missed a NOTICE, that should
not scuttle your release. It isn't like you've got a whole house of cards that is about to
fall down.

Look. Back in 2005, I chose ALv2 for Google's default license. Exceptions were to be made
(eg. GPL for GNU tools and BSD for Mac stuff), but otherwise Google uses ALv2 for all it can.
Their *intent* is for you to use it however you like. No skin off their back. Possibly even
good for them, if you find a way to use the code. So it isn't like they're about to roll around
and get pissed off at your bundling of GCL. Just do it, file an upstream issue, and stop writing
emails about this stuff.

Cheers,
-g