www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Artistic/Perl license
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2016 17:43:32 GMT
And Legal-79?  http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#can-we-include-perl-licensed-header-files-when-creating-dynamically-loaded-xs-modules

From: Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org<mailto:bayard@apache.org>>
Date: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 8:24 AM
To: ASF Legal Discuss <legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Artistic/Perl license

   [ http://dev.perl.org/licenses/artistic.html ]

The two conditions that jump out to me as objectionable are clauses 3 and 4. In both cases
the licensee chooses from amongst a set of options.

Condition 3c is the most 'attractive' within clause 3:

c) rename any non-standard executables so the names do not conflict
    with standard executables, which must also be provided, and provide
    a separate manual page for each non-standard executable that clearly
    documents how it differs from the Standard Version.

Executable is undefined, leaving us to either take it to mean an actual binary executable
(which most things licensed under the Artistic Perl do not have), or just to treat it as 'file'.
Taking it as file, it's a naming requirement not to use the same name for a file when modifying,
requirement to supply the original source and a requirement for documenting changes (which
Apache 2.0 contains as well).

Condition 4c is the same clause within clause 4. Given most items licensed under Artistic
Perl are distributed as source (or 'machine-readable source'), Condition 4b will often be
complied with automatically.

So I think this comes down to whether or not we consider the 3(c) condition to be an issue
or not. I think in LEGAL-64 I was harsh to describe it as a weak-copyleft (3(a) affects licensing
of modifications, ie: that weak-copyleft, but 3(c) gives you an option that is not to do with
licensing and more concerned with maintaining trademarks).

Hen

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@apache.org<mailto:busbey@apache.org>>