www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is Spark Kinesis (non-assembly) module distributable via Maven?
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 18:22:15 GMT
On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 9/15/16, 9:43 AM, "Sean Busbey" <busbey@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>It sounds like an optional component of the product "Apache Spark" to
>>me. The only thing I would be concerned with is that anything
>>distributed by the PMC has to be available (some how) via
>>www.apache.org/dist/spark.
>>
>>It sounds like the source is there, but that the binaries shipped to
>>maven (purposefully) aren't shipped in the current convenience binary
>>tarballs. Could y'all add a convenience binary tarball of "optional
>>stuff" that you know you'll distribute in other channels like maven?
>
> Hi Sean,
>
> The requirement that convenience binaries must be up on dist is news to
> me.  Have I been misunderstanding
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing?  I really thought it was
> only requiring source packages to be on dist.
>
> -Alex

my reading of the release distribution policy[1] is that while the PMC may
distribute materials through secondary channels (like the maven repo called
out at the end), things must end up both in the authoritative channel
and the archive.

The policy specifically calls out distribution of supplementary
things, like convenience
binaries, in addition to official releases of source code. I suppose
one could interpret
it as MUST for the source artifacts and MAY for the "other appropriate
material", but
that doesn't seem obvious to me.

I dunno, maybe something for a new thread once we have a new VP infra?

[1]: http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution