www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of third party text content in source release
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2016 19:02:34 GMT
Per 1C, it would seem that the Tale of Two Cities file could have Gutenberg
references removed and be included.

Looking at the Gutenberg license, some items that jump out as interesting:

1.E.6 is a requirement to include a copy or link to a copy of the original
(let's say) source when using in a (let's call it) binary. I think that's
on the line for our category A criteria, but one I could see being on the
okay side.

1.E.7 and 1.E.8 add complexity for commercial works. I imagine any use
would want to keep a lot of distance between the Gutenberg licensed work
and the Apache licensed work to keep things clear and simple for our users.
The 1.F.6 indemnification clause might cause users to raise eyebrows too.

What do you think to 1C Justin? We're in the US, and this file would seem
to be in the public domain, though I'm not sure what the full process is to
confirm that as the file itself doesn't explicitly make that clear.

Hen