www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Pierre Smits <pierre.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The license for readme files in the works of ASF projects
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2016 18:06:07 GMT
True that is the policy. Regarding the code. But that policy is more than
just about use, But also about enabling modifications. Hence the license
validating that.
Yet there is also the protection of descriptive elements of the projects
and other stuff (think the Apache feather at ASF level) to consider..

So I would say the AL2 license is not the most appropriate one when
projects want to restrict modification of certain artefacts. And readme
files describing the product could be one of those, so that the project can
control that changes to such files go through the project, in stead of any
3rd party changing it willy-nilly in their favor (and potentially damaging
the reputation of he project or the ASF).

So what would the appropriate license be, in such cases?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services