www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 00:50:24 GMT
On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> Apologies for the really late response on this, but wanted to get more insight.
>
> I'm a little puzzled why we have BSD licensed code in an Apache project.  Was there an
SGA executed for MADLib to convert it to Apache License?

There was SGA executed on the changes that Pivotal owned. For the rest -- BSD
license is a Cat A license and the BSD licensed code can exist in an ASF
project without a need for an explicit re-licensing:
    http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a

Thanks,
Roman.