www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Adding non-ASF licensing headers to an Incubating project code base
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 06:13:53 GMT
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 2:12 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2016-09-07 20:50 (-0400), Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
>> > Apologies for the really late response on this, but wanted to get more insight.
>> >
>> > I'm a little puzzled why we have BSD licensed code in an Apache project.  Was
there an SGA executed for MADLib to convert it to Apache License?

>> There was SGA executed on the changes that Pivotal owned. For the rest -- BSD
>> license is a Cat A license and the BSD licensed code can exist in an ASF
>> project without a need for an explicit re-licensing:
>>     http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-a
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Roman.
>

> Just to clarify - there is no SGA on file for MADLib.  I'd like to understand if we expect
one.
> An issue Roman pointed out is that not all contributors were able to provide an OK to
relicense.

Ok, so lets take this one step at a time. Yes there's no SGA on file
simply because it
wasn't required. Ultimately we decided against a full-blown
relicensing from BSD to ALv2.
This is OK, since ALv2 is compatible with BSD.

When I was replying with the following sentence "There was SGA
executed on the changes that
Pivotal owned" I somehow had my wires crossed with HAWQ. Apologies for
that. Once again
there never was SGA for MADlib since it wasn't required.

Lastly, if certain sentences in the original proposal led anybody to
believe that SGA would
be submitted that's just a vestige of us initially exploring a full
re-licensing.

> If I compare this to groovy, for instance, we did not require all contributors to execute
a SGA.

That is correct. But given that Groovy was under ALv2 all along I
don't think it makes a good
comparison with MADlib.

Thanks,
Roman.