www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Bundling and LICENSE
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2016 05:51:04 GMT
Hi,
> Where this is not easy is where the copyright holders are unclear - if upstream have
no explicit copyright statement but just a generic license, it can be tricky to derive which
are the legal entities owning copyright, particularly on GitHub projects with multiple contributors.

That is indeed where it becomes a little unclear, there are 14 contributors to the repo [1]
one main one (who looks to be no longer involved) and 3 other significant ones. There’s
no obvious connection between them and designmodo (that I could find) other than they contributed
to this repo. The license was originally CC BY 3.0 but changed to MIT in 2013 early in the
projects history. [2] Their web site does claim copyright [3] but copyright is not stated
on the github repo (even under the copyright and license section) [4]. So while it may be
reasonable to assume designmodo are the copyright owners it's certainly possible that the
other contributors have claims as well. Would the best course of action to contact the 4 main
contributors and ask? Or use the line “Copyright 2016 designmodo and others” or similar
in the license?

Given the IP provenance and copyright may not be quite as clear as we first thought it is
it still OK to have this code in a release? (until the above is sorted that is).

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/designmodo/Flat-UI/graphs/contributors
2. https://github.com/designmodo/Flat-UI/issues/18