On Aug 3, 2016 08:51, "Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <cem.f.karan.civ@mail.mil> wrote:

> a suggestion that might be the solution.  Would the Apache foundation be
> willing to work on Apache 2.1, or maybe 3.0, incorporating changes as needed
> to cover works that don't have copyright attached to them?  If that were
> possible, we wouldn't need the ARL OSL at all.
>
> Thanks,
> Cem Karan

Unsure how this news might apply but it sounds like changes in overall policy might gain some traction to address this... If OMB came up with the rational of either approving AL 2.0 as is, or made a compelling case for AL 2.1 clarifications.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/08/the-white-house-just-released-the-federal-source-code-policy-to-help-government-agencies-go-open-source/