www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Is it ok to put ASF header onto ALv2 compatibly licensed code?
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 15:21:21 GMT

On 8/10/16, 7:54 AM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> I said this in the other thread, but AIUI, headers are technically
>>optional.
>
>There's nothing in the MIT legal terms that say you need to add a header
>but it’s still considered best practise.
>
>Note that you do need to add a header for Apache V2 license (see appendix
>on how to apply the license to your work [1]), and other licenses like
>the GPL (see “how to apply” in that). I’d also suggest you read the
>advice here [2], here [3] and here [4] (see "Best practices for
>maintaining license information”) and this "how to apply the MIT license"
>[5].

IANAL, so I don't know if not applying best practices means the license
doesn't have effect.  Lots of MIT licensed stuff doesn't follow [5], they
seem to include the entire license.  But I would suggest you and others
who care pass this information along to the folks who you think haven't
applied the license correctly.  For me, a listing in the top-level LICENSE
of the bundling artifact would be good enough.

-Alex